CHIESA DI CASTAGNOLO MINORE
Via Castagnolino 23
The church of Saint Martin in Castagnolo Minore is located in Castagnolino, a little district of the city of Bentivoglio. It’s a little church surrounded by greenery, with an orange façade protagonist of this rural environment. The first proof of the existence of a small church in Castagnolino is dated back to the 10th century, but the works of construction of this building began in about 1500, when a storm destroyed the ancient structure and Giambattista and Bartolomeo Mezzavacca decided to build a bigger one. Since then, different interventions have partially changed the structure of the church, like the abatement and the reconstruction of the bell tower (“colombara”) in the 19th century and the restoration of the façade and the pavements in the first half of ‘900.
Located near to the provincial road and the motorway, this church is a place that preserves its religious integrity and hosts many cultural events at the same time in this evocative setting of rich decorations and “trompe l’oeil”.