PARCO PRIMO MAGGIO
CASTEL MAGGIORE – FRAZIONE DI PRIMO MAGGIO
Via Galliera 2b
The district of Primo Maggio, represents the link between Bologna and the area along the provincial road of Galliera. It probably owes its name to the first socialistic major of Castel Maggiore, Roberto Carati, elected at the beginning of the last century.
The district of Primo Maggio and the beautiful Villa Salina, have a close bond with Marcello Malpighi and the family of the Count Salina. The famous scientist bought the house in 1682, a small country house, where he wrote his first study named “Anatomes plantarium”, thanks to which he won the inscription with honour to the Royal Academy of London. In 1694, when he died, the Villa passed to the Simoni family, the count Seghizzi Gambalunga, and the count Marc’ Antonio Hercolani, who sold it in 1762 to Giovanni Antonio Salina.
The hand painted-ceiling of the floor-entrance hall is dated 1660-1762, and it was restored thanks to the work of the Region Emilia Romagna, which now owns the building that is the location of conferences and studies. The Salina family expanded and embellished the Villa during the years, giving particular attention to the park home of rare plants, wonderful flowers, and of an ancient oak, loved by visitors.