FRAZIONE DI GHERGHENZANO
SAN GIORGIO DI PIANO
Gherghenzano is a small fraction of the city San Giorgio di Piano, in the Province of Bologna.
In 1433, Annibale the 1st Bentivoglio, defeated the Visconte’s army during a famous battle in Gherghenzano. The centre of the city developed during the Middle Age, when the Church of San Geminiano was built. The building was rebuilt in 1729. Nowadays in the Church there is exposed a painting by Antonio Randa, disciple of Lucio Massari, to whom probably the painting was originally ordered. The painting was recently restored by Maria dell’Amore, who brought the signature of the artist to light. The painting depicts the Virgin and the Child, Saint Geminiano, Saint Francis, Saint Charles, and Saint Ignatius of Loyola, it can be dated between 1622 and 1626.